Do you want to know how to have your passport photos taken in Ottawa, Canada? Have you struggled to find a quick and affordable option? The process of submitting your documents and application to the passport office can be expensive, but we can help you to save money on the photos!
In this article, we will be providing a list of the best places and apps to use when taking a passport photo. We will also discuss the related costs and requirements you need to understand.
Where to get passport photos in Ottawa?
Here are a few places where you can have your passport photo taken:
- Local photo studios and photographers
- Pharmacies (London Drugs, Shopper’s Drug Mart)
- Retail Chains (Walmart, Staples)
- Shipping and Receiving Stores (FedEx, UPS)
- Online Apps (Smartphone iD)
What are the cheapest places to take your passport photos in Ottawa?
I have put together a list of the cheapest places that you can go to have your passport photo taken in Ottawa, Canada.
- Walmart: A Canadian supermarket chain. They offer a variety of photography services at their photo centres in the store. This includes getting your passport photo taken for approximately $13.00 CAD.
- London Drugs: This is a popular Canadian retail pharmacy chain. In each London Drugs is a photo center that offers passport photo services. The cost is roughly $10 CAD and will take 20 minutes to complete.
- Staples: This is a Canadian office supply chain and they also offer passport photos at their store locations. The photo service will cost roughly $22 CAD and take only a few minutes.
- Shopper’s Drug Mart: This is a pharmacy chain that will offer passport services at participating locations. So, make sure to verify if the location near you offers the service before going in.
- Smartphone iD: This mobile app allows users to take a passport photo from the comfort of their home for an affordable cost. You can download the smartphone iD app from the Apple or Google Play store and take the photo
How to find a passport photo service in Ottawa near me?
The easiest way to find a passport photo service in Ottawa is by searching on Google. The locations we’ve listed above will come with online store locators where you can input your address and receive the nearest store location.
What are the costs of getting a passport photos in Ottawa?
The price of getting a passport photo will depend on the chosen service provider. If you go to get your passport photo at Staples, then you can expect to pay more than you would at London Drugs. However, the most affordable option is having your passport photo taken at home using the Smartphone iD app.
Where to print a passport photo in Ottawa?
You can have your passport photo printed at most of the service providers listed in this article. However, if you decide to take your photo using the Smartphone iD app, then they will print your photo and ship it to your address for an affordable cost.
Does my baby or child need a passport photo?
Yes, a child, infant, and/or baby will need a passport photo before entering another country. The process, cost, and requirements are the same as it is for an adult.
However, a baby will have some leniency in terms of facial expressions and the passport office will accept a photo with a baby’s mouth slightly open.
Where to get a baby passport photos in Ottawa?
Here are some places( on-site & online) that will take a babies passport photos:
- London Drugs
- Shopper’s Drug Mart
- Smartphone iD
Places Won’t take baby photos:
Where to check if your Canadian passport picture meets the government requirements?
Any passport photo used will need to first be examined and verified by a Canadian passport office. This means that your photo will need to meet some of the requirements they outline on their website.
Therefore, you can visit your local passport agency in Ottawa and check to see whether the photo taken will meet the guidelines for a Canadian passport photograph.
Here are some useful tips on making sure your photo passes the inspection!
- Have a neutral facial expression in your photo. Don’t smile or have your mouth open.
- Don’t wear anything that covers your face or eyes. (This requirement is exempt for religious reasons)
- Make sure to get 2 identical photos for the passport application.
- Wear darker clothing that will contract with the light-coloured background.
- Make sure that the photo has no shadows or glare
- Make sure that the photo is printed in the correct size to be attached to the application. This is 50 mm in width and 70 mm high for a Canadian passport.
How to take your passport photos in Ottawa at home using your phone?
The easiest and cheapest way to have your passport photo taken is to do it yourself and at home! This is made possible through the Smartphone iD app.
The app is compatible with both IOS and Android devices and provides an easy-to-follow guide for taking the perfect passport, driver’s license, or visa photo.
#1: Download the Smartphone iD app from the Apple or Google Play Store
#2: Take the photo using your mobile device while following the in-app instructions
#3: Select ‘Canada” as the country of residence when creating the photo. #4: Make sure to select the intended document type for the photo. In this case, you would select a Canadian passport.
#5: Select if you would like to photo to be emailed directly to your inbox or professionally printed and shipped to your home address.
Here are some of the benefits of using the Smartphone iD app:
- Will properly edit and resize the image to ensure that it meets Canadian passport requirements.
- Offers passport services for an affordable price and taken from home
- Will ensure that all photos are examined and verified by the International Civil Aviation Organization.
- You have the option of getting the passport immediately emailed to your inbox or professionally printed and posted to your home address.
Ottawa in Canada, hava many options of places where you can choose and get your passport photo taken. However, the best option is to take the photo from the comfort of your home using the Smartphone iD app.
The app offers the most affordable price and the fastest method of getting your photo taken, and guidance on taking a passport photo that meets all the Canadian guidelines!
Can I smile in a passport photo?
No, you must keep a neutral expression for your passport photo. Otherwise, it will not be accepted by the passport office.
What color should I wear for my passport photo?
It’s recommended to wear darker clothing for your passport photo so that it stands out with a white or light-colored background.
What if my passport photo is rejected?
Generally, if your photo is rejected, then it will need to be retaken and resubmitted to the passport office. So to avoid this, follow the guide provided in the Smartphone iD app.
Does Costco do passport photos?
No, Costco no longer offers passport photo services. You can have your photos printed at Costco for $0.17.
What is the best place to get a passport photo?
Smartphone iD is the best way to have your passport photo taken. You can download the app from the Apple or Google Play store.
How long does it take to renew a passport in Ottawa?
The normal wait time is roughly two weeks. However, in some cases, if it is a busy season, the processing time can take several months.
How do I renew my Canadian passport in Ottawa?
You can renew your passport by booking an appointment at the nearest Service Canada Centre or submitting a passport application online through their website and picking it up at a center.