A driving licence is issued having taken into account your physical and mental health. A doctor has to examine you to prove whether you can safely do it. That is also why you get it only for some time – your health may deteriorate throughout this period. Once the expiry date is coming, you will have to renew it. But do you know how to renew a driving licence for the elderly? What steps should you take? If not, read this article and don’t doubt more!
Who is “the elderly”?
According to information you can find on the official websites, an elderly is a person over 70 years old or that will turn 70 in the next 90 days. Hence, if his or her driving licence expires, they can renew it for free and online.
If your driving licence was to expire between
- 1 February
- and 31 December 2020,
it was automatically extended for 11 months. However, after that period, you have to renew it as normal.
How to renew a driving licence for the elderly?
There are two ways to do it:
- with a paper form.
You can use the online service if your age is as mentioned above and you are a resident of Great Britain, your license is going to expire within 90 days or is already expired, you meet the medical requirements (minimum eyesight requirement), and you are allowed to drive.
What to prepare?
If you are planning to renew your driving licence for the elderly online, you have to prepare:
- an email address
- a residence address (last three years)
- National Insurance number (if you know).
If you would like to change your photo on the driving licence, you will have to additionally prepare your valid passport number. This is because the photo will be retrieved from the passport system. The document will be valid for three years.
If you want to learn more, visit the official site.
- When and how do you replace a UK paper driving permit for a photocard licence?
- How to obtain an IDP in the UK?
- Everything you need to know about the UK driving licence
- How many photos for a driving licence?
- How to replace UK driving licence if it is lost, damaged or stolen?
- Driving in the UK with a foreign driving licence : what should you know?
- How to Change your Name, Address or Photo on Your UK Photocard Driving Licence?
- A driving licence photo renewal