How to transfer your visa?

As we have written in this article, when you change your personal data you may be obliged to transfer your visa from your passport. Today we will answer the question of how to transfer your visa. If you are in such a situation that you need to do it, read this article. The whole process will then be much easier!

Why transfer your visa?

There are some reasons why you may need to transfer your visa. They are as follows:

  • change of personal details
  • your passport is no longer valid.

Depending on whether your case is the former or the latter, you will need to take different steps.

visa transfer, passport

What to do if I changed my name?

You have to replace your current visa with a BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) if you are planning to stay in the United Kingdom for more than 6 months and you have changed one of the following information:

  • name
  • appearance (your current photo do not enable anyone to recognise you(
  • nationality
  • gender
  • date of birth.

In order to avoid refusal, contact UK Visas and Immigration if your passport does not contain the new data.

What if my passport expired?

passport stamps

If you need to travel from or to the United Kingdom and your passport with a visa expired, you can:

  • transfer it to a new passport (you will have to pay a £154 fee)
  • replace your visa with a biometric residence permit (fees apply, depending on your visa status).

Be aware that you cannot use your valid visa in an expired passport to show your right to work in the UK. You have to replace it with a biometric residence permit.

For more detailed information, have a look at the official website. There you will find data about the process that will fulfil your needs.

Learn more: