Beginning from the basics, a UK driving licence is a formal certificate that permits its bearer to handle motorized vehicles on communal roads such as an expressway. Keeping in mind that the United Kingdom is comprised of Northern Ireland and Great Britain, there are two different agencies in charge of issuing driving licenses.
In Northern Ireland, the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) is responsible for the issuance of driving licenses. On the other hand, in Great Britain, the administration of licenses is done by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
A driving licence is a mandatory certificate to possess, for any individual driving a vehicle on any public road in the UK.
What are the steps to obtain the driving licence in the UK?
- Check if you can drive ( Check what age you can drive, Requirements for driving legally, Driving eyesight rules)
- Get a provisional driving licence.
- Learn to drive and prepare for theory test
- Book the theory test (£23, you must have provisional driving licence to book theory test)
- Book your driving test (£62 to £75, you must have passed theory test, to book the driving test)
- You can start driving as soon as you pass your driving test. You must have an insurance policy that allows you to drive without supervision.
There are multiple kinds of driving licenses in the UK, all falling under different categorizations. However, in this case, we will focus on the standard classification.
1. The AM Class
The AM categorization implies that you can control a vehicle with either two or three wheels. These vehicles move at a speed between 15.5 and 28 miles per hour. In addition to this, these two or three-wheeled motor vehicles should not exceed a weight of 350 kilograms, exclusive of batteries.
2. The B Class
This classification allows you to drive any sort of motor vehicle. You are allowed to handle cars that bear a maximum authorized mass of 3500 kilograms, with the topmost number of commuter seats being 8. If you possess a driving licence under category B and you are above the age of 21, you can practically control a three-wheeled tricycle with a power volume exceeding 15 kilowatts.
3. The F Class
This F categorization of driving licenses allows the owner to drive a farming tractor.
4. The K Class
Possession of a driving license under the K category implies that you are allowed to drive a pedestrian-managed vehicle. Such vehicles are mainly self-moving, a good example being a mower.
5. The Q Class
This classification of driving licenses authorizes the holder to handle a two-wheeled vehicle whose engine magnitude does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters. Also, this vehicle’s maximum speed should be 15 miles per hour.
How To Obtain a Driving License in The United Kingdom?
Registering for your provisional driving license (initial driving licence that allows you to learn how to drive) requires you to:
- At least, be 3 months away from turning 16 years old.
- Possess the ability to read a license plate from a distance of 20 meters.
- Have lawfully resided in the United Kingdom for a cumulative minimum of 185 days within the past year.
- Visit official website to learn more.
On the other hand, to obtain a full driving license while in possession of a provisional one, you need to:
How To Renew a Driving License?
Renewal of a driving license is easy, especially if you own an authentic United Kingdom passport. If you would like to renew your license online, you should :
- Have a legal United Kingdom passport.
- Be an inhabitant of either Wales, England, or Scotland.
- Have your present driving license.
- Have your public insurance numbers.
- Inscription of your residents for the past 3 years.
- Make a mobile payment of 14€.
Note that if you are over 70 years old, the application procedure will be different.
For more more information on how to renew licence click here.
Continue reading :
- How to obtain an IDP in the UK?
- How to renew a driving licence of the elderly?
- Driving in the UK with a foreign driving licence : what should you know?
- How many photos for a driving licence?
- How to replace UK driving licence if it is lost, damaged or stolen?
- When and how do you replace a UK paper driving permit for a photocard licence?
- How to Change your Name, Address or Photo on Your UK Photocard Driving Licence?
- A driving licence photo renewal