Whether it’s you or your little one, an Irish passport is mandatory for anyone to travel abroad. It can be holidays or any other reason to get on the flight. However, most parents forget about their baby’s passport or a compatible passport photo. Does your baby need a passport? Or perhaps a renewal? We can help you with that.
What are the requirements for a baby’s passport photo in Ireland?
Make sure your baby’s passport photo adheres to all the below-mentioned guidelines as per the government.
- Your baby’s photo must be no older than six months. We all know how fast babies grow!
- The photo’s dimensions must be between 35x45mm and 38x50mm. Anything outside this range is not accepted.
- The face should occupy 70% to 80% of the frame.
- Mind the background. It must be light grey, white, or cream. No fancy colors, please! Furthermore, the newborns are to be photographed lying down on a plain, white surface.
- The passport photo of the newborn may be in black, white, or color. However, try to get a colored photo for more clarity.
- Newborns and babies under the age of one don’t necessarily have to have their eyes open.
- Pacifiers, toys, or other objects are prohibited as they might cover up the baby’s face.
Is a digital baby passport photo also accepted in Ireland?
Yes, a digital photo is also accepted, provided you follow all the required guidelines. This way, you can save some money, have an at-home photo shoot, and the process won’t be as stressful for your baby. These are the specifications:
- The digital photograph must be in color. You can use a digital camera, a smartphone, or an iPhone.
- The image should be in JPEG format. No other file format is allowed.
- The file size should not be any larger than 9MB.
- The size should be more than 715 pixels and 951 pixels in width and height respectively.
How to take a digital passport photo of baby at home?
In order to take a digital photo at home, follow these steps.
- Rest your little munchkin on a flat surface. It can be the bed, floor, or table as well. If you’re using a blanket or bedsheet, keep it plain or light-colored.
- You could give them a snack and maybe let them take a nap; this could make things a lot easier.
- Place your HD camera roughly 1.5m-2m away from your baby to avoid blurred photos and other issues.
- Next, keep your infant’s head in the middle of the photograph.
- Ensure there is good lighting around the baby. There should be no shadows in the digital photo. If required, switch on all the lights in the room. Alternatively, natural daylight is perfect.
- Make sure the photograph is of high-resolution and of good quality. If not, click again.
- Take as many photos as you want, and then pick the best one to avoid repeating the process again.
Do I need to hire a photographer to take my baby’s passport photo?
No, you don’t need to hire a photographer to click your baby’s passport photo. You can also become a photographer for the above. You may use software that will guarantee whether your photo is valid or not. Smartphone iD is such an app. If you want to save your time, money, and energy, choose our services and take your time with an unlimited number of attempts before choosing the ideal baby or adult passport photo!
Our artificial intelligence and human control system guarantee 100% that your photo will be accepted and conform to the mandatory ICAO standards and the standards of Ireland’s Passport service.
We hope this guide was helpful to you!