The process of applying for a USA passport for a newborn is the same as applying for a US passport for any child under 16. American passports for minors are valid for 5 years. You must bring a passport photo that meets general USA passport photo requirements along with other documents. But a passport photo for a baby in the US should comply with additional specifications to be aware of.
Where can I get a US baby passport photo near me?
Many chain drug stores, as well as post offices, offer passport photo services. The average cost of 2 printed photo cards is $15, with no digital version included. Bear in mind that taking a USA passport photo for newborns or toddlers can be a stressful task, as it is not so easy to persuade a child to sit still in front of unfamiliar people. That’s why most parents prefer to take baby passport photos at home, saving funds and time.
How to take a US passport photo of a baby at home?
- Get a digital camera or a smartphone camera with a decent resolution. Professional photo equipment is not necessary;
- Take care of natural daylight. Take a photo near the window in the morning or daytime. If the light is not enough, turn on an additional lamp, but don’t point it at your child’s face. Avoid using flash;
- Set up the background. USA child passport photo requirements include even light-colored background (a plain sheet or towel with no folds will do). You can put the baby in a car seat, but cover the car seat with a white sheet to provide a blank background.
- Line up the frame so that the child gets into it waist-high;
- Make sure that your shadow doesn’t obscure the baby’s face.
- Keep the lens at eye level with your baby and catch the moment he/she looks directly at the camera;
- Take several shots and choose the best one.
What are US baby passport photo standards?
When choosing the best photo of your baby, make sure that the photo conforms to the following :
- The photo must be of the baby or toddler and no one else must be in the picture.
- The baby must have the eyes open for the photo.
- Make sure there are no shadows on the baby’s face.
General US passport photo rules for your child:
Basic passport photo rules are that you need to submit one color photo taken within the last six months using a plain white background. The photo needs to be 2 x 2 inches in size and within that space, the head must be between 1 to 1 3/8 inches (25 to 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. You will need to face the camera straight-on with your face in full view. There are few additional things to note:
- your child cannot wear glasses, masks, hats, etc. They’ll need to wear everyday clothes and take everything off the head so nothing covers the face.
- There is a little more leeway with passport photos of babies than for older children and adults, as it is specifically called out that an infant’s eyes don’t have to be widely open.
- It can be hard to get a newborn to look right at the camera with their eyes, so just do your best to check all the other boxes.
- A pacifier is not allowed when taking a passport photo.
Are there any exceptions for US baby passport photos?
There are 3 points that are less strict with baby passport photos than for adults. These points are:
- Baby can slightly look away;
- The head can be slightly tilted to one side;
- Lips can be slightly apart, but no teeth or tongue can be seen.
Applying for baby passports during COVID-19
While the basic steps of applying for a child passport haven’t changed, know that during the ongoing pandemic, things are moving slower and not all passport agencies or acceptance facilities have fully reopened.
Further details about the procedures of having a passport photo for your child can be deduced by looking at the video below:
How to take a baby passport photo with your smartphone?
Smartphone iD app is your one-stop solution for valid photos at home. It’s an app available on Android and iPhone. Take unlimited shots to get a photo that you like, and once our software and team have approved it, receive it shortly in your email and/or within a few days – in your mailbox.
Our artificial intelligence and human control system guarantee 100% that your child’s photo will be accepted and conform to the mandatory ICAO standards and the standards of the US State Department.
Last update: 17/08/2023