Are you looking to travel with your baby for work or vacation outside the European Union? Then, of course, you must have your Irish passport handy. And your baby ought to have a passport too.
Although getting an Irish passport is easy, many baby passports and visa applications get rejected. Are you curious to know why? It’s because of bad photos! The issuing authorities will not issue your baby’s passport if other credentials but the photo are intact.
So, to save you time and needless panic when you apply for your baby’s passport, we’ve come up with tips on taking an approved baby passport photo. You will also see how you can save some bucks by taking your baby’s passport photo at home.
Let’s set the ball rolling!
How To Take A Baby Passport Photo In Ireland (The Best Way) ?
The easiest way to take a baby passport photo is to lay them on their back on a white sheet. If you don’t have a plain white sheet, an off-white sheet would do. Likewise, you can take the photo in a car
What matters the most is the plain white or off-white background. And you should also avoid shadows on your baby’s face.
Where to Take a Baby Passport Photo?
There are two common ways to take your baby’s passport photo in Ireland. First, you can head to a local photography studio or DIY at home using the smartphone ID app if you are not cut out for the stress of looking for a studio.
However, it is better to use a photography studio if you are unsure of the correct size required for the baby’s passport photo. This is because the photographers in the studio are usually familiar with the standard photo requirements. And they know how to trick your baby to open their eyes and look into the camera lens.
Baby Passport Photo Requirement
You should etch the Ireland baby passport photo requirements in mind unless you’d like the issuing authorities to deny your baby’s visa. And these requirements apply to both offline and online applications.
Let’s see what you should note when taking your baby’s photo.
- The authorities want a recent photo taken not later than six (6) months. You don’t want to risk submitting an old photo. Do you?
- Don’t doctor your baby’s photos. Your baby will not be issued a passport, and you might be setting up your baby for rigorous checks when you apply for another passport subsequently.
- Your baby’s face should occupy at least 70% of the picture frame. Remember that the authorities receive several applications. They want to see your baby’s face clearly and as quickly as possible without straining their eyes.
- The photo is as important as the paper on which you print it. Therefore, print the picture on high-quality paper for the best results.
- Applicants are to submit four (4) copies of the same picture.
The Requirements For A Digital Baby Passport Photo
If you want to digitally submit your baby’s passport photo, check out the requirements below.
- Black and white pictures are not allowed. Be sure that the photo is in colour. Clear and sharp.
- The photo format? It should be in JPEG format!
- The dimension of the digital passport photo is 951 pixels in height and not less than 715 pixels wide.
- Check for distortions or artefacts in the photo. These elements are not accepted.
- Don’t scan the photo.
- The photo size should not be greater than 9MB
Notwithstanding whether or not you are submitting baby passport photos online or offline, check out other requirements you should consider when taking the picture.
- The picture background should be plain. A white background is preferable.
- Position the lights carefully to prevent shadows from covering your baby’s face
- Don’t put sunglasses on your baby’s face. It is an official document and not a fashion contest.
- Your baby should have a neutral facial expression.
- The red-eye effect is a deal-breaker
Baby Passport Photo Size
You should ensure that the photo’s dimensions are 35mm x 45mm. This is the generally acceptable dimension. Similarly, the maximum dimension must not extend beyond 38 x 50mm.
What Is The Price Of A Baby Passport Photo?
Taking a baby’s photo is a pretty difficult task. You’ve got to find clever ways to get the baby to focus on the camera before taking a standard shoot. Basically, this is what influences the amount photographers charge for babies’ photos.
You can get a baby passport photo in Ireland for €8-€15. And remember that the passport issuing authorities expect you to submit four copies. So you might be paying extra bucks for the extra photos printed.
Besides the difficulties in taking a baby passport photo, location, camera quality, photography skills, and experience influence prices.
How to Get a Baby Passport Photo Online?
Thanks to technology, you can create a valid baby passport photo online in a few minutes. Several websites and apps like smartphone iD offer this service. What you need do is to take your baby’s photo with your mobile phone using smartphone iD app, then select the desired country and preferred document, the app will vet, and convert your photo to a compatible format.
Thereafter, an expert will check your digital photo before sending it, to make sure it will conform to the requirements. Then, you will get the digital copy via your email address.
How to Print Out Digital Passport Photos?
The best way if you wish to print yourself is to do it on regular 10x15cm photo paper in photoshop. with Smartphone iD they get a ready template to print, they can just simply open their email and send the photo to the printing device.
It is not recommended to print Digital Passport Photosat home as only professional printing paper is allowed.
How to Get a Baby Passport Photo near Me?
Several photo booths and studios offer baby passport photo services in Ireland. If you don’t know of any local photography studio around you, you can use Google tools to locate one.
Indeed, the most convenient way to get a baby passport near you is to use your phone. Besides, you can rely on our app to take an approved passport photo for your baby.
How to Take Your Baby Passport Photo with Your Phone At Home?
Taking your baby’s Ireland passport photo can be frustrating, especially if you haven’t done it before. Follow our tips, and you will be just fine.
Some Tips And Tricks To Help You Take A Good Baby Passport Photo (From Home)
- To start with, your baby must be in the best mood and condition. A hungry man, they say, is an angry man. The same analogy applies to babies. You cannot get a baby to calm down if you don’t feed them. So you should give your baby enough food before proceeding.
- You can place a white shirt or pillowcase on the bed or car seat to achieve a white background. And you can lay the baby flat on its back if it can’t sit on its own. If the baby can’t hold their head steady yet, you can place a pillow or rolled-up towel under the white background as head support.
- Let your baby take a nap before taking the photo to avoid the red-eye effect.
- You might wonder. How can I get my baby to look at the camera? The best approach here is to distract the baby with toys. You can get your baby’s attention by asking someone else to hold and shake the toys. Then you can take the photo with the baby’s eyes fully opened.
- For the best results, natural lighting is advisable. Take the photo close to the source of lighting during the day. Phone flashlights might not get the best outputs.
Here are the steps to take your baby passport photo using the Smartphone iD app
1.Download ‘Smartphone iD’ on compatible phones, available on iOS and Android
2.Take a photo using the app, ‘Smartphone iD’ will guide you through the process
3.Select which country you want to produce a photo for
4.Select which document type you want the photo for (Passport, driving license, visa etc.)
5.Receive photos digitally via email, as soon as our experts approve them
6.Use these digital copies to print them yourself. Or, you can use our printing service to have it printed on professional paper and delivered to your doorstep.
Taking a baby passport photo alone can be hard especially when you don’t know the requirements. Accordingly, the Smartphone iD app provides you with the guidance to take a photo that complies with the Passport Office requirements.
Download the Smartphone iD app and take a photo with your smartphone. We will ensure that it complies with the legal requirements and make it available via email or doorstep delivery.
CAN A BABY BE CRYING IN A PASSPORT PHOTO?
No. Crying obscures your baby’s face. The Passport Office usually rejects such photos.
CAN A BABY SMILE IN A PASSPORT PHOTO?
Your baby should wear a neutral expression in a passport photo.
WHAT COLOR SHOULD BABY WEAR FOR PASSPORT PHOTO?
Any colourful outfit is great so long it does not blend with the photo background.
CAN BABIES WEAR HEADBANDS IN PASSPORT PHOTOS?
Headbands, hats and bows are not allowed.
CAN I TAKE PASSPORT PHOTO WITH MY PHONE?
Absolutely! You only need a good passport photo app like Smartphone iD.
ARE THEY STRICT WITH BABY PASSPORT PHOTOS?
The Passport Office wants to have a clear view of your baby’s face. They won’t compromise the passport photo requirements.