Applying for official documents can be tiresome due to long processing times and unpredictable delays. But if you have your ducks in a row it doesn’t have to be more painstaking than it already is. In other words, you can avoid unnecessarily
delays by checking your photos for compliance before submitting them with your application.
It’s actually pretty easy to organize software or an application that can assist in taking a passport photo, or alternatively, you could go to a photographer or document photo booth. In this article, we take you through everything you need
to consider when getting a green card photo with pre-validation. Let’s get into it.
Why green card photo pre-validation is necessary?
It’s a good idea to pre-validate photos for official government documents like passports, visas, ID cards, and green cards. This is because there are very strict requirements as to what the photo should look like. Fortunately, these days there
are several reliable companies to choose from, all of which offer green card photo pre-validation.
Keep in mind when you choose yours that it is better to have a human checking for compliance than automated software because this way there can’t be any glitches. Processing times differ based on the category of form and service
the center used, but you can enter your own details to find out right here.
How to ensure that your photo doesn’t get rejected?
If you want to ensure that your green card photo doesn’t get rejected, be sure that it is 2 x 2 inches in size and compliant with government requirements. The head must be in between 1 -1 3/8 inches from the base of the chin to the tip of the head. You can’t be smiling, you need to be against a plain white background and you have to be wearing the right clothing (see more below).
7 requirements for submitting a successful green card photo (that you shouldn’t miss)
Everyone wants to look good in their green card photo, but there are a few rules you need to comply with if you want your photo to be accepted. It’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the requirements if you want to avoid your photo
being rejected, so go ahead and read them below.
- You must be against a plain white or off-white background.
- The photo must have been taken no more than 6 months before submitting the application.
- You may not wear spectacles, as these often cause pictures to be rejected because of the glare on the lens.
- You are not allowed to wear hats, scarves, or headbands on the head but you can wear religious headwear if you have a letter of explanation and your face is completely visible.
- The government prefers you to be in casual wear. You may not wear a uniform of any kind.
- While this is not a rule, it’s a good idea to opt for business attire. This is because passport photos are often used on employee identification cards.
- While this is also not a rule you might want to wear a high neckline so that you don’t look nude once the picture is cropped. By wearing colored or black clothing you can avoid blending into the white background.
What size do you need for a digital US photo?
The photograph must be a minimum of 600 by 600 pixels and no more than 1200 by 1200 pixels. If you are asking a loved one to take your photograph, ensure that there is enough space around the head to allow for automatic cropping. The photograph should be a minimum of 54 kilobytes and no larger than 10 megabytes.
Where to Get a Green Card Photo?
There are a wide variety of places where you can have a it taken, including:
- Mobile apps such as Smartphone ID
- The post office
- Professional photographer
- Delivery companies
Some tips that can help you take an appropriate photo for your green card application
The best way to take a photo for your green card application from home is by using a passport photo service application such as Smartphone iD. Smartphone iD is among the best in passport photo apps and can help you take a photo that is guaranteed to be government-compliant.
- Choose a place to position your smartphone that will ensure good lighting on your face.
- Open the Smartphone iD app that can assist you in taking a compliant photograph.
- Take a picture using the handy head and shoulders guidelines.
- Choose the right template for the USA.
- The photo is sent to be validated by an expert who will ensure that the picture complies with government requirements.
Which companies offer green card photo pre-validation?
There are multiple companies that offer green card photo pre-validation, the best of them are:
- Smartphone iD – Features background removal and a team of expert photo-checkers. Friendly customer service to guide you for a successful take, if needed. Money-back guarantee included.
- IVisa Photos – Automatically checks for compliance and flags any problems.
- PhotoAiD – Background removal and photo checking included. It’s a bit pricier than its competitors.
At the end of the day, there are multiple passport photo services to choose from, both in-store and online. Using an app or software with a compliance-checking feature can be beneficial for pre-validating official document photos like your
Just remember to choose a company that checks for compliance with experts and not software if you want to be 100 % sure of compliance.
To successfully pre-validate a green card photo, it’s a good idea to use the services of an app that provides compliance checks. Passport photo service apps can confirm whether your photograph meets all of the government’s
requirements. Smartphone iD, iVisa Photos, and PhotoAid all offer green card photo pre-validation.
If you wish to not only get a pre-validated photo but also save money, Smartphone iD will be your best choice in the market.
What photo is used for a green card?
A standard 2 x 2-inch photo is used for a green card. You will need two if you are applying via hardcopy.
How do you get a picture for the green card lottery?
You can get a picture of the green card lottery using any of the services listed above in the previous question.
Can I take a picture of my green card?
If you take a picture of your green card it cannot be used in the same way as your actual green card. Only original photographs that have been taken directly of the face are accepted.
Is a green card photo the same as a passport?
Yes. A green card photo and a passport photo have an identical size of 2 x 2 inches and the same government requirements.
Can I take a lottery photo by phone?
Yes, you can take your green card lottery photo with your smartphone at home. There are many apps to choose from but we recommend using Smartphone iD.
Can I wear earrings for the green card photo?
Yes. As long as your earrings don’t obscure your face, you can. For more information about what you can and can’t do in a passport photo read here.
What size should be a photo for the green card lottery?
The photo for green card lottery documentation must be 2 x 2 inches.
Is a green card a photo ID?
Yes. It is a permanent residence visa and it also provides a photo ID as issued by the government.