You might need an ID card photo for many reasons, and this article will dive into the best practices for getting it done. Therefore, make sure to keep reading and learn about all the options that exist and what to watch out for before going and getting your ID photo taken.
Where to get an ID card photo in Canada
It is easy to get an ID card photo in Canada, as many different stores and online alternatives offer this service. For example, you could opt to have your ID photo card taken at a local pharmacy like Shoppers, a superstore like Walmart, a photo studio near your hometown, or using an app like Smartphone iD.
Nonetheless, here are some places to visit if you live in Ontario or Alberta:
ID card photo in Ontario
- Pro Passport Photo: 1826 Robertson Road, Nepean
- Pro Passport Photo: 17 County Road 33, Trenton
- Staples: 921 North Milliken Avenue, Ontario
- London Drugs: 100 City Centre Drive Unit 1 – 745, Mississauga, Ontario
ID card photo in Alberta
- London Drugs: 2004 50 Avenue Suite 109, Red Deer, Alberta
- Walmart: 18521 Stony Plain Road, Edmonton, Alberta
- Pro Passport Photo: 700 8 Avenue, South West, Calgary
- Pro Passport Photo: 11124 36 Street North East, Calgary, Alberta
- Smartphone iD: It can be used from anywhere, so long as you have an internet connection and mobile device. The low-cost app offers Ai verification to ensure the photo meets government guidelines.
How to get an ID card photo online
An ID card photo can be taken online using an app like Smartphone iD. Here are a few reasons why you should consider using this app.
- Compatible with both IOS and Android.
- Ensures all photos are Ai verified by a team of experts.
- Offers photos to be printed on high-quality paper and shipped to your home address.
- It is low-cost and convenient.
- Provides an in-app guide to help users take the perfect photo.
- Support 24/7
- Money back
What are some cheap places to get an ID card photo
If you want the cheapest ID card photo, consider visiting one of the places on this list. We have ranked them and ordered them from the most to least expensive option.
- Staples: $20+
- Shoppers Drug Mart: $15+
- Walmart: $10+
- London Drugs: $9+
- Smartphone iD: Low-cost
What is the estimated cost of an ID card photo
The estimated cost of an ID photo card will depend on the service provider you choose. For example, an ID card photo at Staples is significantly more expensive than at London Drugs. However, the least costly option is to have your photo taken using Smartphone iD.
What are the size and other requirements for an ID card photo
- Clear and sharp photo with proper lighting
- Neutral facial expression
- White or light-coloured background
- Photo must be taken within no more than 12 months of submission
- Do not cover your face or eyes
- 50 mm wide x 70 mm high
- 2 inches wide x 2 ¾ inches high
What is an ID card photo’s processing time
The time it takes to process an ID card photo depends on the service providers. Sometimes, it can be completed in a matter of minutes and, for others, hours. For example, the processing time at your local London Drugs is estimated to be 30 minutes or less. Whereas the processing time for an ID photo card from Smartphone iD is a matter of minutes.
Where can I find an ID card photo location near me
The easiest way to locate a place that offers an ID card photo near you is by searching on Google. A quick search will provide a list of options for places in your area that offer the service. Some examples might be Shopper’s Drug Mart, London Drugs, local photo studios, or Pro Passport Photo.
However, you can download the Smartphone iD app, take the photo from home, and be finished in minutes. Additionally, it is low-cost and easy to use.
How to renew my photo ID card online
Renewing your photo ID card is relatively straightforward and can be done from your laptop or mobile phone. For example, if you reside in British Columbia, you must log in to your BC services card app and opt to input a new photo.
How to take your ID card photo with your phone
An ID card photo can be taken quickly from your phone using the Smartphone iD app.
Here is the four-step process:
- Download the app on an IOS or Android device.
- Within the app, select ‘Canada” as the desired country.
- Select ‘ID photo’ as the desired service.
- Follow the in-app guide and take your perfect photo.
The process is that easy when using Smartphone iD! You only need to download the app and let it do the rest.
An ID photo card can be lengthy and costly, but it can be done quickly and cheaply with the right service provider. London Drugs, Pro Passport Photo, Walmart, or a local photo studio are great options for taking an ID photo.
However, the best option is the Smartphone iD app. It guarantees a perfect ID photo by verifying it with a team of Ai experts. Additionally, the app will resize and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the photo meets government guidelines.
Does Costco still offer photo services?
No, Costco stopped offering photo services in 2021. The next cheapest alternative is the Smartphone iD app.
What is the best place to get an ID photo card?
The best way to take an ID photo card is at home using the Smartphone iD app. The app can be downloaded from the Google Play or Apple store.
Can I smile in an ID photo?
No, the Canadian government requires that you have a neutral face. You can follow the in-app guide when using Smartphone iD to take the perfect photo.
What to wear for an ID photo?
You should wear darker close for your passport photo to contrast with the white or light-coloured background.
How do I convert normal photos to ID photo size?
The Smartphone iD app will convert the photos taken to meet the passport size requirements. All you need to do is download the app and follow its guide.
Is there a free ID photo app?
Yes, there exists some free passport photo apps. However, they will not offer a compliance check, and you risk having the photo denied by the inspection office. Instead, consider a low-cost app like Smartphone iD to take photo.