Did you know that babies also need passport photos? Yes, if you want to begin travelling with your child or must cross a border, you must apply for a passport. In this article, we will be discussing baby passport in Canada and what steps you can take to get this process completed quickly and efficiently.
Do Babies need passports in Canada?
Yes, a baby will need to have a passport if you intend to travel with them across any borders. It can be an expensive process if done poorly. Therefore, follow the suggestions we make in this article to have the application completed and submitted at a cheap cost and quickly.
Our first recommendation is to download the Smartphone iD app and take your passport photo from home for a low cost. This way, you can be reassured that the photo will pass inspection and speed up the processing time for your child’s passport.
How to get a passport for a baby in Canada?
To get a passport for a baby in Canada, you will need to follow these steps:
- Get a passport application form from your local service Canada location, passport office, or an online passport Canada website.
- Gather the required documents:
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship
- Birth Certificate
- passport photos
- Proof of Relationship to the child
- Complete the application form: The form will need to be fully completed and signed by both of the baby’s parents or guardians. If the child has only one parent/guardian, they must provide proof of sole custody.
- Submit the Application: The required documents must be submitted in person at a passport office or a Service Canada location or by mailing them to the address provided on the application form.
- Pay the Fee: You must pay a fee upon applying. A child’s passport fee is approximately $57.
It is recommended that you apply for a passport for your baby as soon as possible, as it can take several weeks or even months to process a passport application.
What are the required documents for a baby passport?
Here is a list of the required documents that will need to be submitted with your baby’s passport application:
- Minimum 1 valid document that supports your identity
- Proof of custody (if separated or divorced)
- Proof of parentage
- Proof of your child’s Canadian citizenship
- Birth certificate
- 2 Identical ID-style photos
This list may vary based on the province you are applying within. Nonetheless, these are some critical documents that must be submitted with your passport application.
What are the costs of a baby passport?
A baby passport costs roughly $57 and will be paid upon application. Additionally, you will need to pay to have a passport photo taken.
Here are a few options to choose from when selecting a passport service provider:
- Shoppers Drug Mart ($22)
- 5576 Yonge Street
- 598 Sheppard Avenue West
- 5095 Yonge Street Unity #A14
- 75 King Street South Unit 42/43, Waterloo, Ontario
- 190 Northfield Drive West, Waterloo, Ontario
- UPS ($15)
- 1011 Upper Middle Road East
- 200 North Service Road
- 115 George Street
- 765 Rue Beaubien Est, Montreal
- 1055 Rue Lucien-L’Allier, Montreal
- Staples ($25)
- 20 Woodlawn Road East, Guelph, Ontario
- 498 Edinburgh Road South, Guelph, Ontario
- Smartphone iD (low cost)
Smartphone iD’s app is the most affordable option on the list and a reputable source for taking photos that will pass inspection on the first try. Our app ensures that all photos are verified to meet all government requirements.
What are the wait times for a baby passport?
Your baby’s passport will typically take 10 to 20 days to be processed and received. However, this time can be longer if you send over the wrong documents or a photo that the passport office denies.
If you want to speed up the processing time, we suggest downloading the Smartphone iD app and taking a photo that passes inspection on the first try.
What are the baby passport photo requirements?
A baby’s passport photo must meet the requirements set by the passport office. Here are a few of those guidelines:
- The photo must be 50 mm wide and 70mm high
- The photo must be clear and in focus
- Professionally printed
- Neutral facial expression
- Light-coloured background
- No sunglasses or accessories that cover the face
These are only some of the requirements to take a passport photo successfully. The smartphone iD app will help ensure that the photo meets these requirements and is verified by the International Civil Aviation Organization.
Where to get a baby passport photo in Canada ( cheaply & quickly)?
A baby’s passport photo can be taken at various photo studios, pharmacies, or superstores, but you are not guaranteed that the photo will turn out well, and it can be expensive. The easiest way to take a baby’s passport photo is from home. Start by downloading the Smartphone iD app and following its guide to taking the perfect passport photo.
Not only is the Smartphone iD app easy to use, but it is low cost and doesn’t require you to travel to a physical location. If you require printed photos, you can opt to have them professionally printed via the app and shipped to your home address.
Babies and infants must have their passport photos taken the same as adults if you wish to travel with them. That said, they will need to submit a passport application and take a passport photo. They have some flexibility in the photo criteria, and passport offices will accept various facial positions. However, some stores will still not take passport photos for infants, but don’t worry, as the Smartphone iD app allows baby photos at quick and affordable prices. You only need to download the app and let it do the rest.