Stolen or Damaged Green Card: What to do?

If you’ve lost your green card, Do follow these steps accordingly to make sure:

  1. Visit a respective embassy from your country and they will be able to issue you a boarding foil (also known as transportation foil) which will permit the return to the US.
  2. Right after that, you should file for a replacement by filling the Form I-90 which can be done online.
  3. Come back to the US. If you’re abroad you’ll have to come back to apply for one as you will need a green card to enter the United States.

However, if you are determined to get a green card outside of the US, here’s how to do so:

You might face problems boarding your return flight. You’ll also face additional scrutiny when you arrive at a U.S. port of entry (such as an airport) and could even be denied permission to reenter the United States. If your visa has expired, check the Boundless guide to renewing your green card for more information on how to proceed.

You will be required to notify the local authorities initially and contact the respective embassy from your country who will again issue you a boarding foil (also known as transportation foil) which will permit the return to the US.  

Right after that, you will need to complete the form called I-131A, application for travel document which will require a fee of $575.

After that, you are required to fill the form I-90 immediately and you are supposed to carry the following documents in person.

  • A printed copy of the $575 online fee payment made through the USCIS online payment system (ELIS) for filing Form I-131A;
  • Valid passport;
  • Police report regarding the loss of the LPR card;
  • Copy of your LPR card, if available;
  • Evidence to demonstrate that you have not been outside the United States for more than one year; and
  • Two identical 2 x 2-inch photographs

If you’ve done all these finally the green card replacement should cost you a replacement fee of $455, plus $85 for biometric services, for a total of $540. Some applicants do not have to pay or must pay only the biometrics fee.