Before you can ride a motorcycle or drive a car, one requirement is to meet the minimum set age and then apply for a provisional driving license. If you have a provisional licence, you are authorized to drive a car, motorbike or moped on the UK public roads. Once you have passed the driving test, you can apply for full driving license.
How to apply?
You can use the two recognized methods to apply for the provisional licence online or by post also known as the in-person method. The online method is done through the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in Swansea. The DVLA online form is where you will order services to get the D1 application form; this form is also available in the various post office branches. You can apply online using the government gateway ID. You only need to send your complete application and your payment to the DVLA.
Requirements for a provisional driving licence
You need to meet the following requirements to apply for your provisional driving license:
- Must be 15 years and 9 months old.
- Must be able to read numbers plates of packed car 20 meters away as part of the driving eyesight requirement.
- Provide the accurate address of your place of residence for the last 3 years
- Pay a total of £34 fee by debit card, credit card, visa, master card, Maestro or Electron.
The documents needed to complete provisional driving licence application
If you have a valid UK biometric passport is a major step since the only thing required from you is your identity from the 9-digit passport number. If you do not have the UK biometric passport, you must send the following original documents to the DVLA within a month to prevent possible delays to your application:
- Valid and current passport
- Travel document.
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
- European Economic Area (EEA) or European Union (EU) national identity card
- For postal application, you will need to provide the following documents:
- A colored passport-style photograph.
- Original documents confirming your identity.
Click here to learn about the procedure of obtaining full driving license.