How to obtain a visa for the United Kingdom?

After the Brexit this topic is high on list for many foreigners who wish to stay or travel to the United Kingdom. The general process for obtaining visa is as follows :

  1. Check whether you need to apply for visa
  2. Choose one of the following visa types :
  3. Complete an online application form.
  4. Collect all the required documents.
  5. Schedula a visa appointment.
  6. Attend the visa interview.

The required documents and application duration will vary depending on the following criteria :

  • Your citizenship,
  • Reason to go to the UK,
  • Duration of your stay,
  • Personal circumstances.

NB! Remember that your application must be approved before you enter the United Kingdom. For most visa types, start the application at least 3 months before arrival (6 months for student visas).

In addition to visa fee, you will need to pay for medical healthcare, which will allow you to receive medical care should you need it while in the UK.

If you get a vignette and you’re coming to the UK for more than 6 months then you have to collect a biometric residence permit (BRP) after you arrive.

EU, EEA, and Swiss Citizens in the UK

If you want to apply for the EU settlement scheme, you need to do so before 30th June 2021. This applies to anyone in the EU, EEA, and Switzerland. Furthermore, you can apply if you have an eligible family member from Northern Ireland.

It’s free to apply, but you need to have reasonable grounds for not applying if you need to apply at a later date. To get a settlement status, you’ll need:

• Proof of identity
• Evidence of your continuous residence

Click here for more information.

Commonwealth Citizens and British Nationals

All Commonwealth citizens and British nationals enjoy the right to abode in the UK, gain a UK ancestry visa, visa-free travel, and exemption from the English language test. If you would like a right to abide through your parents, the requirements include:

• At least one UK parent
• Be a Commonwealth citizen as of 31st December 1982

The right to abode through marriage is available only to female Commonwealth citizens who have been married to a right to abode holder before 1st January 1983. For more information, click here.

Continue reading