A driving licence is an important document. It allows you to drive both in the UK and some other countries. However, from time to time you may have to renew the photo that is on it. So, how to renew a driving licence photo? Read the article and make sure you know how to do it!
What documents to prepare?
If you want to renew your photo, you have to apply for a new driving licence. There is no way to change your photo on the current document.
To renew your driving licence online, you need:
- a valid UK passport and your National Insurance number
- to reside in Great Britain
- pay £14 for issuing a new document
- provide your address where you have lived for the last 3 years
- to take with you your current driving licence.
If you plan to renew your driving licence with a paper form, look at the official page.
Should I upload or send a photo?
If you are applying online, you don’t have to upload any images to the system. Your photo will be automatically retrieved from the database if you provide a valid passport number. However, if you want to change your driving licence photo, for instance, you may apply for it with a paper form. Then, you will need:
- a passport type photo
- D1 forms pack (from the Post Office)
- your current photocard licence (if you have it)
- a proof that you paid £17 (if you apply by post).
How to renew a driving licence photo of the elderly?
If you are older than 70 (or you will turn 70 within the next 90 days), you can apply for a driving licence renewal for free. You have to:
- provide your address where you have lived for the last 3 years, e-mail address, and your National Insurance number
- pass the eyesight test
- introduce your valid UK passport number.
Your document will last for 3 years, then you will need to renew it once more.
- When and how do you replace a UK paper driving permit for a photocard licence?
- How to obtain an IDP in the UK?
- How to renew a driving licence of the elderly?
- Everything you need to know about the UK driving licence
- How many photos for a driving licence?
- How to replace UK driving licence if it is lost, damaged or stolen?
- Driving in the UK with a foreign driving licence : what should you know?
- How to Change your Name, Address or Photo on Your UK Photocard Driving Licence?